Crystalline Fructose – A Valuable Sweetener

According to the Calorie Control Council, over 180 million people in the United States consume low calorie, sugar-free foods and beverages on a daily basis. Meanwhile, these people are requiring more natural sweeteners in the food and beverages they consume. Therefore, food companies are using crystalline fructose to meet these demands. Crystalline fructose is a processed sweetener derived from corn, similar to high fructose corn syrup. Extra processing steps result in this crystalline product, which is very close to 100% pure fructose. In fact, federal standards define crystalline fructose to be at least 98% pure fructose with the remaining 2% being water and trace minerals.

Crystalline fructose is used in many drinks including carbonated beverages, sports drinks, flavored waters, and energy drinks, as well as in foods like nutritional bars, reduced-calorie foods, and canned fruits. This chemical product can even be found in baked goods, breakfast cereals, and other confectionery foods.

Since crystalline fructose is sweeter than both high fructose corn syrup and table sugar, it is a valuable sweetener for low calorie, sugar-free foods and beverages because less must be used to achieve the same level of desired sweetness. In addition, crystalline fructose can be combined with other sweeteners (and starches) to not only boost sweetness, but also to improve cake height in baked goods, as well as improve the texture and taste of food products.

On top of a full line of food/reagent grade chemicals and nutritional products like crystalline fructose, Bell Chem offers a diverse blend of sanitation products, pharmaceutical chemicals, USP ingredients, and personal care raw materials. From our headquarters in Longwood, Florida, we have the ability to ship large volumes of bulk chemicals from our location, as well as from our suppliers’ terminals. To learn more, call our Florida chemical supply company at 407-339-2355 today.