When potassium bicarbonate and a solution of citric acid are combined, an effervescent action occurs due to an acid/base reaction. The resulting salt that forms when the acid and base are evaporated is potassium citrate. This salt has proven quite valuable to the medical industry; doctors have been treating patients with kidney stones for years with a supplement of potassium citrate. Tampa chemical supplier, Bell Chem, explains why potassium citrate is the prescription of choice for patients with kidney stones and other urinary tract disorders.
- Patients who suffer from kidney stones often take thiazide to manage kidney stones. The thiazide depletes the body of potassium; potassium citrate replaces this lost mineral.
- Patients whose urine is highly acidic experience intense pain when urinating. Potassium citrate neutralizes the acid content in urine, thereby relieving much of the discomfort while reducing the frequency of urination.
- Uric acid and cysteine are prevalent in the human body.Too much of either can lead to kidney stones (urinary calculi), uric acid, cysteine, or calcium stones. A regimen containing potassium citrate regulates acidity and keeps the body in homeostasis. In a recent study, the use of potassium citrate reduced the amount of kidney stones by 75%; this supplement attaches to calcium and keeps individual crystals from adhering to each other and forming painfully large mineral crystals.
- Calcium stones are formed when too little citrate is in the urine. Potassium citrate prevents this occurrence.
- In patients who are chronically hypokalemic, potassium citrate is administered to treat and manage gout and heart arrhythmias.
- Cystitis (urinary tract infection) may be treated with potassium citrate, at which time it acts as an alkalizing agent.
For the prevention of kidney stones and other urinary tract related disorders, the administration of potassium citrate may relieve or prevent all these disorders. For questions about potassium citrate, or any of our other products, call Tampa chemical supplier Bell Chem at 407-339-BELL (2355) or you can contact us online.