Propylene glycol is a colorless and virtually odorless viscous liquid. It does not irritate the skin, but is mildly irritating to the eyes. Propylene glycol has a slightly sweet taste and is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for certain uses as food additives. Propylene glycol is hygroscopic and very stable. It has a high boiling point and low vapor pressure. Also, propylene glycol has the ability to dissolve other substances and is completely water-soluble.
The properties of propylene glycol make it perfect for a lot of specific uses in many different industries. Propylene glycol has a very broad array of practical applications and is used as a chemical ingredient in many products including anti-freezes, foods, cosmetics products, pharmaceuticals, aircraft de-icing fluids, fragrances, and personal care products.
These are some of the ways propylene glycol is used:
• As a solvent in pharmaceuticals including oral, inject-able, and topical formulas.
• As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, pet care products, mouth wash, hair dye, and tobacco products.
• As an ingredient in massage oils, fragrance oils, hand sanitizers, antibacterial lotions, and saline solutions.
• To make artificial smoke or fog theatrical productions and firefighter training.
• As a vaporizable base for diluting the nicotine liquid in electronic cigarettes.
• As a solvent for food colors and food flavorings.
• As a wetting agent to determine time needed for paints and coatings to dry.
• As a lubricant in air conditioning compressors.
As a leading chemical supplier in Orlando, Bell Chem offers quick delivery of any of our hundreds of chemicals on our own fleet of trucks. Propylene glycol is just one of the many chemical products we offer. We also stock a wide variety of other reagent-grade, personal care, nutritional, and water treatment products. Give us a call at 407-339-BELL (2355) to learn more about our products.