Tricalcium phosphate (Ca3(PO4)2) is a calcium salt of phosphoric acid. Containing both calcium and phosphoric acid gives tricalcium phosphate many positive health and pharmaceutical benefits as well as industrial uses. Below are only a few of the many uses of this marvelous product stocked by Bell Chem, your Florida chemical supplier.
- Cheesemaking and other industries employ tricalcium phosphate to regulate acidity.
- Baked goods often list tricalcium phosphate as an ingredient. When bread is baked, tricalcium phosphate causes bread to rise properly.
- Reduced fat liquids containing tricalcium phosphate are generally smoother and thicker.
- Many spices contain tricalcium phosphate because it deters caking and clumping. As a matter of fact, from baby powder and agricultural applications, thousands of products take advantage of tricalcium phosphate’s anti-caking properties.
- When pharmaceuticals need to be routed directly to osseous tissue (bone), tricalcium phosphate acts as a delivery system, bringing the medication directly to the bone.
- In antacids, the basic properties of tricalcium phosphate act to buffer the acid environment of the stomach while supplying the body with calcium, an important component of every body system.
- Common medical practice utilizes tricalcium phosphate as a supplement or stand-alone bone graft agent.
- Home water filtration systems find tricalcium phosphate works well to remove fluoride from water.
- Fertilizers often contain large amounts of phosphoric acid, which is typically derived from tricalcium phosphate.
Your body cannot function without calcium or phosphate. Calcium is imperative for muscle contraction, heart rate regularity, and, its most well-known function, bone health. Phosphate is less well recognized but is essential in the formation of cellular membranes, nucleic acids (DNA and RNA), energy production within cells, and bone mineralization (hardening). Supplementing your diet with tricalcium phosphate will ensure you receive the correct amounts of both nutrients daily.
Read more about all the chemicals offered through Bell Chem by reading our blogs, and contact our team of experts at (407) 339-2355 (BELL) with any questions pertaining to tricalcium phosphate or any of the other chemicals on hand at your Florida chemical supplier of choice.