Chances are excellent that if you look in your home or business cabinet right now you will find sodium hypochlorite 10-12%. Chances are also excellent you recognize this chemical by its more common name when it contains water as its solvent, liquid bleach. Customers of Bell Chem, the Florida Chemical Supplier, understand the importance of sodium hypochlorite as a bleaching agent and disinfectant.
- Bleaching: Sodium hypochlorite, with the chemical formula NaClO, breaks up and removes mold, tannins (found in plants and plant-based beverages such as tea), and in endodontics to remove fluorosis stains on teeth. Laundry detergents contain sodium hypochlorite to brighten white clothing.
- Disinfecting: As an antimicrobial, healthcare and laboratories find sodium hypochlorite ideal to stop the growth of bacteria, viruses, and other microbes. When used after a detergent is applied and removed, sodium hypochlorite acts as a disinfectant for body fluids, including blood. The application of a detergent and disinfectant deters the survival of most viruses and biological microbes.
- Deodorizing: The microbes that produce noxious odors are no match for sodium hypochlorite. This gives sodium hypochlorite properties to deodorize as it disinfects.
- When combined with a more viscous fluid, sodium hypochlorite is able to adhere to surface for a longer stretch of time, allowing a more thorough cleaning before being rinsed.
- Food processing facilities and food prep areas can be sanitized with a weak solution of sodium hypochlorite as long as the area contacting food is able to drain sufficiently before usage, according to the USFDA.
- Water treatment systems find sodium hypochlorite perfect for treating toxic waste, removing the toxicity to safe levels. Sodium hypochlorite also controls bacterial and other biological growth that contaminates water systems, pulp mills, and paper mills.
Sodium hypochlorite is used industrially around the world. With its ability to be used at different concentrations for myriad applications, every business should stock some form of sodium hypochlorite. Bell Chem’s sodium hypochlorite 10-12% can be used full strength or diluted. Contact the Florida Chemical Supplier, Bell Chem, at 407-339-2355 (BELL) to speak with one of our representatives concerning this or any other industrial chemical. Check out our blogs for all your chemical and nutritional needs.