Tri-calcium phosphate, known alternately as TCP, tri-calcium orthophosphate, tribasic calcium phosphate, or bone phosphate of lime (BPL), is a calcium salt of phosphoric acid with the chemical formula Ca3(PO4)2. The Food Chemicals Codex (FCC) is an international compendium of standards that verifies the quality and purity of food ingredients. Bell Chem, the Tampa chemical supplier, proudly stocks this important additive. Here is a list of some of its uses.
- Clump Prevention: Light, powdery spices and baby powder have a tendency to clump if exposed to even minute amounts of moisture. Tri-calcium phosphate acts as an anticaking agent. It has the ability to absorb 10% of its weight in moisture to prevent clumping and allow the product to flow or pour easily.
- The Medical Field: Because it contains calcium, tri-calcium phosphate has uses in the medical field as bone grafting material and ceramic coatings.
- Reinforcer: The primary function of tri-calcium phosphate is fortification of the calcium and phosphate content in foods, nutritional supplements, and beverages.
- Regulates Acidity: On the pH scale, tri-calcium phosphate is considered basic and is used regularly as an antacid or acidity regulator.
- Use in Foods & Beverages: Reduced-fat foods and beverages utilize tri-calcium phosphate to give products opacity, thickness, and smoothness. Cheese manufacturers use it as a mineral salt while processing cheeses. Breads and baked goods require leavening agents such as tri-calcium phosphate to lighten and soften products by adding gas bubbles before and during baking.
The mineral source of tri-calcium phosphate (FCC, kosher) allows it to be used in vegan and organic products as well as part of a strict kosher diet. Its varied applications give it the ability to be utilized in a wide variety of foods and products. Tampa chemical supplier, Bell Chem, stocks tri-calcium phosphate (FCC, kosher) along with many other kosher products and chemicals. Call us today at 407-339-2355 (BELL) to speak with one of our trained associates, and read our past blogs for more information on Bell Chem’s products.