Beauty care chemical collagen is a structural protein composed of amino acids vitally important for the youthful appearance of skin. Found in bones, muscles, tendons, and skin, collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. Collagen is a connective tissue that acts as scaffolding to give the skin support and strength and is a fundamental component in what gives the skin its elasticity. With a breakdown of collagen, which occurs as the body ages, wrinkles intensify and the skin sags. This is most commonly noted in crow’s feet, laugh lines, and double chins. The loss of collagen is something everyone experiences as they age. By around age 20, existing collagen begins to break down and new collagen does not form as quickly. While it is difficult to replace collagen, many products boost collagen’s ability to keep the skin looking its best. Read below for a list of beauty care products that will enhance your skin’s natural beauty by positively affecting collagen.
- Retinoids diminish the amount of collagen damaged by sun exposure by preventing the buildup of the enzyme collagenase. Retinoids also stimulate new collagen production.
- Vitamin C stimulates fibroblast cells, the cells that fuel collagen production. It also acts as an antioxidant to keep enzymes from detrimentally affecting existing cells. Vitamin C is a well-known defender against free radicals.
- Genistein, a soybean isoflavone, has two purposes: it blocks and destroys dangerous enzymes and boosts the production of collagen.
- Green tea extract is an antioxidant, which prevents the breakdown and death of cells. It also promotes healthy collagen and elastin fibers, which both act to promote youthful skin.
- Vitamin E, like Vitamin C, destroys free radicals and replenish the skin’s collagen levels.
- Lycopenes prevent free radical invasion and act as collagen protectants.
- Grape seed oil is abundant in flavonoids, which remove free radicals and restore collagen at a cellular level.
For a full listing of Bell Chem’s beauty care chemicals or any of their other products, please browse our website, or contact one of our beauty care experts at (407) 339-2355 (BELL).